© FTI Publishing, LLC 2013 - 2017. All Rights Reserved.    Terms of Use / Disclaimer

Home    About   Contact Us  Privacy Policy

Home About Table of Contents Forms & Instructions News

Individual Income Tax Guide





Terms of Use / Disclaimer

2016 Quick Reference Tables

Quick Reference Tables

Tax Calendar

Search Tips

Page 4: Form 1040, line 53 to line 54

Chapter 4 – Taxes and Credits

Line 53 – Residential Energy Credits: Enter the amount of your residential energy efficient property credit and nonbusiness energy credit on this line. See the discussion below for what qualifies for these credits. To take the credits, you must complete and attach Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits, to your return.

Residential energy efficiency property credit: You are allowed this credit  if your home is located in the United States and you paid for any of the following during the year:

Nonbusiness energy property credit: This credit is available for certain improvements made to your main home in the United States if they are new and meet specific requirements for energy efficiency. The improvements include:

You may also be able to take this credit for the cost of the following items if the items meet certain performance and quality standards:

Condos and co-ops: If you are a member of a condominium management association for a condominium you own or a tenant-stockholder in a cooperative housing corporation, you are treated as having paid your proportionate share of any costs of such association or corporation for purposes of these credits.

More details:  For details about the residential energy credits, see the instructions to Form 5695.

Line 54 – Other Credits: Enter the total of the following credits on this line and check the appropriate box(es). Check all boxes that apply. If box c is checked, also enter the applicable form number. To find out if you can take a credit, see the form or publication indicated.

General business credit: This credit consists of a number of credits that usually apply only to individuals who are partners, shareholders in an S corporation, self-employed, or who have rental property. See Form 3800, General Business Credit, or Publication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business (For Individuals Who Use Schedule C or C-EZ).

Credit for prior year minimum tax: If you paid alternative minimum tax in a prior year, see Form 8801, Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax – Individuals, Estates and Trusts.

Mortgage interest credit: If a state or local government gave you a mortgage credit certificate, see Form 8396, Mortgage Interest Credit.

Adoption credit: You may be able to take this credit if you paid expenses to adopt a child or you adopted a child with special needs and the adoption became final in 2016. See the Instructions for Form 8839, Qualified Adoption Expenses.

Credit for the elderly or the disabled: See Schedule R, Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled.

District of Columbia first-time homebuyer credit:  You cannot claim this credit for a home you bought after 2011. You can claim it only if you have a credit carryforward from 2015. See Form 8859, Carryforward of the District of Columbia First-Time Homebuyer Credit.

Qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit: See Form 8936, Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit.

Qualified electric vehicle credit: You cannot claim this credit for a vehicle placed in service after 2006. You can claim this credit only if you have an electric vehicle passive activity credit carried forward from a prior year. See Form 8834, Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit.

Alternative motor vehicle credit: See Form 8910, Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit, if you placed a new fuel cell motor vehicle in service during the year.

Credit to holders of tax credit bonds: See Form 8912, Credit to Holders of Tax Credit Bonds.