© FTI Publishing, LLC 2013 - 2017. All Rights Reserved.    Terms of Use / Disclaimer

Home    About   Contact Us  Privacy Policy

Home About Table of Contents Forms & Instructions News

Individual Income Tax Guide





Terms of Use / Disclaimer

2016 Quick Reference Tables

Quick Reference Tables

Tax Calendar

Search Tips

Line 21 – Other Income: Use line 21 to report any other taxable income not reported elsewhere on your return or other schedules.

NOTE: Do not report on this line any income from self-employment or fees received as a notary public. Instead, you must use Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business, Schedule C-EZ, Net Profit From Business (Sole Proprietorship), or Schedule F, Profit or Loss From Farming, even if you do not have any business expenses.

Also, do not report on line 21 any nonemployee compensation shown on Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income (unless it is not self-employment income, such as income from a hobby or a sporadic activity). Instead, see the instructions on Form 1099-MISC to find out where to report that income.

Taxable income: List the type and amount of income. If necessary, include a statement showing the required information. For more details, see Miscellaneous Income in Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income.

Examples of other income you report on line 21 include the following:

NOTE: You may have to pay an additional tax if you received a taxable distribution from a Coverdell ESA or a QTP. See the instructions for Form 5329, Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans (Including IRAs) and Other Tax-Favored Accounts.

Nontaxable income: Do not report any nontaxable income on line 21. Examples of nontaxable income include the following:

Net operating loss (NOL) deduction: Include on line 21 any NOL deduction from an earlier year. Subtract it from any income on line 21 and enter the result. If the result is less than zero, enter it in parentheses. On the dotted line next to line 21, enter “NOL” and show the amount of the deduction in parentheses. See Publication 536, Net Operating Losses (NOLs) for Individuals, Estates, and Trusts, for details.

Medicaid waiver payments to care provider. Certain Medicaid waiver payments you received for caring for someone living in your home with you may be nontaxable. If these payments were incorrectly reported to you in box 1 of Form(s) W-2, and you cannot get a corrected Form W-2, include the amount on line 7. On line 21, subtract the nontaxable amount of the payments from any income on line 21 and enter the result. If the result is less than zero, enter it in parentheses. Enter “Notice 2014-7” and the nontaxable amount on the dotted line next to line 21. For more information about these payments, see Publication 525.

This page: Line 21

Chapter 2 – Income