© FTI Publishing, LLC 2013 - 2017. All Rights Reserved.    Terms of Use / Disclaimer

Home    About   Contact Us  Privacy Policy

Home About Table of Contents Forms & Instructions News

Individual Income Tax Guide





Terms of Use / Disclaimer

2016 Quick Reference Tables

Quick Reference Tables

Tax Calendar

Search Tips

Line 64 – Federal Income Tax Withheld

Line 65 – 2014 Estimated Tax Payments

Line 67 – Additional Child Tax Credit

Line 68 – American Opportunity Credit

Line 69 - Net Premium Credit

Line 70 – Amount Paid With Request for Extension To File

Line 71 – Excess Social Security and Tier 1 RRTA Tax Withheld

Line 72 – Credit for Federal Tax on Fuels

Line 73 – Additional Credits

Line 64 – Federal Income Tax Withheld: Add the amounts shown as federal income tax withheld on your Forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings, and 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. Enter the total on line 64. The amount withheld should be shown in box 2 of Form W-2 or W-2G, and in box 4 of Form 1099-R. Attach Forms W-2G and 1099-R to the front of your return if federal income tax was withheld.

If you received a 2016 Form 1099 showing federal income tax withheld on dividends, taxable or tax-exempt interest income, unemployment compensation, social security benefits, or other income you received, include the amount withheld in the total on line 64. This should be shown in box 4 of Form 1099 or box 6 of Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement.

If you had Additional Medicare Tax withheld by your employer(s) in 2016, include the amount shown on Form 8959, line 24, in the total on line 64. Attach Form 8959.

Also include on line 64 any federal income tax withheld that is shown on a Schedule K-1.

Line 65 – 2016 Estimated Tax Payments: Enter any estimated federal income tax payments you made for 2016. Include any overpayment that you applied to your 2016 estimated tax from:

If you and your spouse paid joint estimated tax but are now filing separate income tax returns, you can divide the amount paid in any way you choose as long as you both agree. If you cannot agree, you must divide the payments in proportion to each spouse's individual tax as shown on your separate returns for 2016. For an example of how to do this, see Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax. You may want to attach an explanation of how you and your spouse divided the payments. Be sure to show both social security numbers (SSNs) in the space provided on the separate returns. If you or your spouse paid separate estimated tax but you are now filing a joint return, add the amounts you each paid. Follow these instructions even if your spouse died in 2016 or in 2017 before filing a 2016 return.

Divorced Taxpayers

If you got divorced in 2016 and you made joint estimated tax payments with your former spouse, enter your former spouse's SSN in the space provided on the front of Form 1040. If you were divorced and remarried in 2016, enter your present spouse's SSN in the space provided on the front of Form 1040. Also, under the heading Payments to the left of line 65, enter your former spouse's SSN, followed by “DIV.”

Name Change

If you changed your name because of marriage, divorce, etc., and you made estimated tax payments using your former name, attach a statement to the front of Form 1040. On the statement, explain all the payments you and your spouse made in 2016 and the name(s) and SSN(s) under which you made them.

Line 66 - Earned Income Credit: Enter your earned income credit (EIC) on this line. The EIC is a credit for taxpayers who and have earned income for the year under a certain amount and meet other specific requirements. See Publication 596, Earned Income Credit (EIC), for information about whether you qualify for the credit and if you do, how to calculate the amount of your credit.

Line 67 – Additional Child Tax Credit: This credit is for certain people who have at least one qualifying child as defined in the instructions for line 6c, Dependents. The additional child tax credit may give you a refund even if you do not owe any tax.

Two Steps To Take the Additional Child Tax Credit:

Step 1. Calculate the amount, if any, of your child tax credit. See the instructions for line 52.

Step 2. Read the TIP at the end of your Child Tax Credit Worksheet. Use Schedule 8812, Child Tax Credit, to see if you can take the additional child tax credit, but only if you meet the condition given in that TIP.

Table of Contents

Chapter 6 – Payments